Topics

Badges version 1 released #newfeatures

Our v.1 of donation badges for embedding on your site, Tumblr, blog, etc. are out -- for now you have 2 ways to customize them:

  1. Light (white) or dark (red)
  2. "Support me" or "Support us" terminology

You can access these from the main dropdown menu at the upper right -- there's a new option for Badges that will take you to this page where you can toggle those 2 options and copy the embed code:

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s3/sh/c76f87e1-ec91-46a2-8c6a-bf886422f0a3/b50d6dbf643598e831b04901eb911535/deep/0/Recurrency---Badges.png

Coming next:

  • more customization options: most notably by size for including at the ends of blog posts, in banner-like areas vs. sidebars, etc. (what else is important to you that we customize -- let us know!)
  • data display: # of supporters, $ per week, etc.
  • exploring option to allow fans to "donate inline" -- i.e.right from the badge without having to leave wherever it's embedded. Let us know if that's something that interests you...

Feedback requested:

  • Anyone have trouble with using the badges because their platform strips out <script> tags? Let us know...
  • Requests for additional / alternative badge language
  • Requests for specific sizes or aspect ratios

Thanks!!

On my end there's a CSS conflict resulting in the CSS being overridden and essentially making it render as a plain text link on my page. I hate to ask for an image-based version but that would likely be easier than monkeying with the CSS.

Actually got it sorted on my end, looks great!

Awesome, thanks Victor -- FWIW we did have image-based versions in the "possibility sphere" and could definitely prioritize that for v.2 if there's demand for it (if your platform strips out script tags or overrides CSS, etc.). I also owe you Richard a follow-up (if you're out there in email land listening... /waves) too as one of the early requesters for "Badges v.2" -- here's the basic draft list I have so far which I'll need to priortize/winnow down and spec out a few of these more fully:

Badges v.2

  1. In-post badges (for blogs, Tumblr, etc.)
    1. Header / footer style
    2. Inline square style for L or R-justified inclusion
  2. Leaderboard style — for inclusion in site header or footer
  3. Additional sidebar styles
    1. Simple image-based version w/o script tags
    2. Square-shaped
    3. Customizable colors
    4. Customizable language
    5. Dynamic: display supporter count, monthly donations, etc.
  4. Dedicated landing page or support area styles
    1. Display linked scrolling list of all your subscribers (nice promo benefit for supporters / another incentive for them to sign on)
    2. Testimonials loop — version that displays a stream of your supporter testimonials (insta-marketing!)

So that's a laundry list of sorts and probably not worth tossing into a formal poll at this point, but if anyone has votes, feedback, or additional requests to add to that list, please reply inline! Thanks!!

Lol — if you cast a vote, don’t vote by number! ;) Fun with cut and pasting lists and interpreting ordinality...

On April 29, 2015 at 2:22:49 PM, Barb D (barb@...) wrote:

[...]

Gray

I somewhat have a preference for “Leaderboard style — for inclusion in site header or footer” as a priority, based on my experience that the 728x90 spot generally gets better click through rates. (When it’s at the top, anyway.)

And leaderboards are about the most common IAB ad type on the exchanges, so if one of us got frisky and wanted to advertise our Recurrency badge, we could do so pretty easily.

(Squares often look better, but then you get in the Mortal Kombaaaaat of whether it’s a med req, large req, skyscraper, or some other size — Google’s pushing 336 right now, for some reason — and you never know what the inventory will be like. That drives costs up.)

Sooo…. leaderboard is nice and versatile, but that’s my opinion.

Mike

On April 29, 2015 at 5:25:06 PM, Barb D (barb@...) wrote:

  1. Leaderboard style — for inclusion in site header or footer